Top Ten African Safari Parks Revealed
- Over 2,500 reviews from both safari travellers and African travel experts analysed
- Serengeti National Park, MalaMala Game Reserve and Mana Pools National Park rated as the best three parks for safaris in Africa
- South Luangwa in Zambia climbs six places to enter the Top 10 for first time at number five
SafariBookings.com, the largest online marketplace for African safari travel, has published a definitive ranking of the 10 best safari parks to visit in Africa. The analysis is based on 2,530 reviews contributed by 1,670 safari-goers from 72 countries and 860 park reviews written by renowned industry experts including guidebook authors from Lonely Planet, Rough Guides, Frommer’s, Bradt and Footprint. Both first time and experienced safari-goers make up the results.
Sweeping to first place was the people’s favourite, the magnificent Serengeti in Tanzania which polled an impressive average rating of 4.9 out of 5. It was followed by South Africa’s MalaMala Game Reserve and Mana Pools National Park in Zimbabwe in second and third place respectively. Surprisingly, Kruger National Park did not feature in the top 10 despite South Africa holding two of the top 10 rankings and given how highly regarded Kruger National Park is in the wider safari industry.
Commenting on the rankings, Wouter Vergeer, Co-owner of SafariBookings.com stated, “Serengeti thoroughly deserved first position in our study as it is universally loved for its wildlife, profusion of predators, and astonishing wildebeest migration. Remarkably, Kenya’s only foray into the top 10 is on the back of the Masai Mara National Reserve (eighth place) despite the country actually having nine parks that rank in the full list of the top 50.”
MalaMala Game Reserve which ranked third is popular amongst the rich and famous, offering luxurious accommodation options and some of the best wildlife viewing in Africa. Watching wildlife while bobbing down the Zambezi in a canoe, with the unspoiled wilderness of Mana Pools on either side, is an unforgettable experience.
Of particular note is South Luangwa in Zambia, which jumped six places from 11th in 2015 (when the list was last compiled) to fifth place in 2018.
The complete list of the ‘Top 10 African Safari Parks’ can be viewed here.
Notes to Editors:
- In total, 139 parks in eight major safari countries – Botswana, Kenya, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe – were included in the study
- Only parks known for classic wildlife viewing safaris were considered. Parks mostly known for their scenery or typical gorilla/chimp tracking parks were not included
- Parks with less than 25 reviews were excluded from the top 50
- The overall review score of a park consists of 50% expert reviews and 50% user reviews
- The reviews of individual Sabi Sands reserves were merged into one overall Sabi Sands rating, since those reserves collectively brand themselves as the Sabi Sand Game Reserve
- The comprehensive top 50 list is available here
For further press information, please contact:
Nicole Lovett/Emma Arthurs/James Brooke
T: +44 (0)20 440 8930
E: [email protected]
SafariBookings.com is the largest online marketplace for specialised safari tours. Over 2,200 specialist safari operators from Africa and western countries offer their safari tours on the SafariBookings.com platform. Every year more than three million people visit SafariBookings.com to find the perfect safari.