TEMPUR Tips to Enjoy #TheQueue This Year at Wimbledon
Queuing is what us Brits do best, and what’s more British an event than Wimbledon to form a line for?
To increase your chances of getting your hands on the much sought after court tickets and to minimise the pain of a drawn out morning wait, you’d be at an advantage (pun intended) if you camp.
Almost 7,000 tennis fans made #TheQueue for opening day last year (and yes, even the tents are pitched in an orderly line), so it’s advisable to get there early to ensure a place at the front.
To ensure Wimbledon queuers get the best from #TheQueue experience this year, premium mattress brand TEMPUR, has put together the following tips for anyone thinking about heading down to Wimbledon Park to camp:
- Choose the right station. The Queue entrance is a five minute walk down Wimbledon Park Road from Southfields tube station; don’t go to Wimbledon or Wimbledon Park if you want to avoid a longer journey laden with camping gear. You can view the Wimbledon Queue map here.
- Get there early. Early birds will arrive up to 40 hours before the first matches. For Centre Court or Court 1 you need to ideally be among the first 1,000 to guarantee your ticket. Last year there were 400 people already queuing by 8am on the Sunday.
- Wait for your queue card and keep it safe! You may have to wait some time in the queue before you receive the queue card, however, don’t be tempted to leave until you have it safely stashed away. It is the only thing that registers your place in the line and entitles you to get your tickets. Once you have been issued a queue card, it’ll allow you to pop away from camp to stretch your legs, buy food, nip to the pub, or visit fellow queuers.
- Bring the right sized tent. Whilst it’s a great experience to be a part of, it’s not a party, so don’t bring a family sized tent or you won’t be able to pitch it… Tent size is restricted to two person tents only.
- Prepare for all weathers. It’s July but it is England. Pack sun protection, sunglasses and shorts, but also waterproofs, and don’t forget fleeces, socks and blankets to make sure you get through the chilly night comfortably.
- Other packing essentials. Torch (for night time toilet visits), small bag of toiletries and hand towel, wellies if it’s due to rain, compact picnic blanket, pack of cards, wireless phone charger.
- Alcohol. Cans of G&T, Pimms or Prosecco are a packing essential, but this is Wimbledon and it’s civilised so don’t overdo it, as 1), drunk and disorderly behaviour is not tolerated and 2), you’re only allowed one bottle of wine or two 500 ml cans per person once you get into the grounds.
- Meals in #TheQueue. Once you have your queue card, you can mosey off to get food, but temporary absences from your place in The Queue are restricted to 30 minutes, so it’s advisable to bring a picnic. You can also order a delivery, but make sure it arrives at the at the Wimbledon Park Road gate by 10pm. And don’t forget to pack supplies for breakfast!
- There are rules to abide by, including no BBQs, no loud music, no smoking or vaping and no anti-social or drunken behaviour. This is a very British queue after all… See here for the Wimbledon Queue full Code of Conduct.
- Take cash. Cards are not accepted for the queue-on-the-day tickets.
- Beware of banned items once in the grounds. Leave the selfie sticks, Tees brandishing political slogans, flasks and big camera lenses behind. You can find a full list of prohibited items here.
- Prepare for an early start! Get an early night (stewards will be ushering you to bed around 10pm). Make sure you have all you need to get a good night’s rest – ear plugs, travel pillow, warm bedding – and prepare for an early start. Many are packing up their tents from as early as 5am and if the noise doesn’t wake you, you’ll be woken by the stewards at around 6am.
TEMPUR is offering the chance to win a mattress (worth up to £2,499) this Wimbledon season.
From 1 July 2018, you can enter by:
- Showing or telling us how you’re enjoying Wimbledon using our competition hashtag #GameSetNaps and tagging TEMPUR UK (Twitter & Facebook: @TempurUK; Instagram: @tempur_uk)
- Follow the TEMPUR UK profile that you enter on
Competition opens on Sunday 1st July and closes on Sunday 15th July. By posting your photo, tagging and following TEMPUR® UK and using our competition hashtag #GameSetNaps, you will automatically be entered into the prize draw. For full terms and conditions visit https://uk.tempur.com/gamesetnaps-terms-and-conditions.html
For more information on TEMPUR, visit www.tempur.com
Notes to editors:
- TEMPUR will be issuing stories and pictures from #TheQueue on the morning of Sunday 1st Please get in touch should you wish to be included on our mailing list.
- TEMPUR UK Managing Director, Tobin James, is available for interview or comment
For further press information:
Jo Kendall/Julie Aguilera
T: +44 (0)20 3440 8930
E: [email protected]
TEMPUR researches, develops, engineers, manufactures and distributes mattresses, pillows and other sleep products to improve the sleep experience worldwide.
TEMPUR mattresses and pillows are made from a formulation of the brand’s proprietary pressure absorbing TEMPUR material, originally developed by NASA scientists in the 1970s to support and cushion astronauts during lift-off.
TEMPUR mattresses offer maximum quality, comfort, support, durability, value for money and aid a restorative night’s sleep.
TEMPUR is the no.1 mattress brand in Europe for customer satisfaction, with 9 out of 10 customers claiming they would buy Tempur again.
TEMPUR products can be purchased direct via the TEMPUR UK website, from any of eleven TEMPUR brand stores and outlets, or from leading retailers including Dreams, John Lewis, Bensons for Beds, Furniture Village and Land of Beds.
Trusted and promoted by medical practitioners around the world, TEMPUR is the only mattress product recognised by NASA and certified by the Space Foundation. TEMPUR’s Contour mattress is Good Housekeeping Institute Approved.
TEMPUR is a subsidiary of TEMPUR Sealy International Inc.
- Twitter: @TempurUK
- Facebook: @TempurUK
- Instagram: @tempur_uk
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TempurUKonTV