Staycationing this Summer? Ecoffee Cup: This Year’s Ethical Travel Gadget
Reduce Your Plastic Footprint when Travelling with a Stylish, Reusable Cup.
Rejoice or despair, the school holidays are now upon us and we can expect roads and stations to be massively congested between the 20th and 23rd July, with most state schools breaking up on the 20th or 21st.
With 51 percent of the British public buying hot drinks ‘on the go’ at train stations, on board trains or at service stations or garages, and 84 percent of hot drink buyers in the UK still using single-use cups*, a staggering amount of disposable cups will be going to landfill this summer season as we all head off on our caffeine-fuelled road or train trips…
Up to seven million cups go to landfill every single day in the UK, with a huge number of British tea and coffee drinkers still believing that single use cups are recyclable. Sadly, only one in every 400 are actually recycled, as the plastic or wax linings used to make the cups waterproof make the separation process very complicated. This means that the vast majority end up in landfill.
The Ecoffee Cup has a resealable ‘drip proof’ lid for easy storage in bags, making it the ideal choice for travelling. It is manufactured using bamboo fibre (the world’s fastest-growing, most sustainable crop) and corn starch, which means it’s BPA and phthalate free. The cup is sturdy but light, is fully dishwasher safe and because bamboo is naturally sterile, it doesn’t flavour-taint drinks, unlike some other reusables.
Many coffee shops and cafes across the UK offer customers discounts on their hot drinks to incentivise the use of reusables, which means that taking an Ecoffee Cup on a staycation this summer will save the British coffee consuming public money, as well as reduce its plastic footprint.
With over 2.5 billion single use coffee cups going to landfill every year in the UK (100 billion globally!) the Ecoffee Cup is the perfect choice for those looking for a waste free holiday this summer. Other measures summer holidaying Brits can take are:
- Use refillable water bottles
- Always make sure you have a reusable bag to hand
- Pack food for trips in ceramic, glass or stainless steel food containers or tiffin tins rather than using plastic bags, plastic containers, plastic film or buying plastic wrapped meals or snacks en route
- Pack cutlery for your trip rather than using disposable plastics
- Teach children that using straws is damaging to the environment and savour your cocktails by sipping rather than tainting through unnecessary plastic tubes
- Buy toiletries in bulk and transfer to class or ceramic containers. Always avoid buying travel minis
- Avoid disposable razors
- If you use microbead products, find biodegradable options
- Use biodegradable toothbrushes
- When purchasing souvenirs or gifts, ask for packaging to be removed if not fragile
Tackling the ever-growing problem of single-use packaging waste while simultaneously providing a stylish, practical reusable cup for the coffee-consuming public, Ecoffee Cup, has set up the #stopthe100billion campaign in an attempt to raise awareness of the waste issue, educate the public and effect real change in the way we consume takeaway products.
Available from only £7.95 (8oz), Ecoffee Cup offers a wide range of vibrant designs to suit all tastes; from block colours, striped or spotted, to geometric, feather or floral patterns.
For more information or to purchase your Ecoffee Cup, go to www.ecoff.ee.
Notes to editors:
- *Data from YouGov poll on behalf of Veolia, June 2017
- Rooster can arrange delivery of samples should you be able to feature the product.
- Rooster will coordinate interviews with David McLagan, Founder & CEO, Ecoffee Cup, upon request.
- Ecoffee Cup has set up the #stopthe100billion social media campaign in an attempt to raise awareness of the issue and effect real change in the way we consume coffee.
- To follow Ecoffee Cup, go to facebook.com/ecoffeecup, www.twitter.com/ecoffeeofficial, www.instagram.com/ecoffeecup.
For further press information please contact:
Alex Fenton/Rachel Sewell/Julie Aguilera
T: +44 (0)20 3440 8930
E: [email protected]
About Ecoffee Cup
From manufacture through to disposal, Ecoffee Cup is a new generation of reusable takeaway cup.
Created with the world’s fastest-growing, most sustainable crop – natural bamboo fibre – and non-GMO corn starch, Ecoffee Cup is BPA and phthalate free. It’s the Natural Reusable.
Ecoffee Cup feels a bit like thick, yet light cardboard. And because bamboo fibre is naturally sterile, Ecoffee Cup is lovely to drink from and won’t flavour-taint drinks. It is also super-light and has a fully resealable ‘no-drip’ lid, making it perfect for when you’re on the go.
Ecoffee Cup is fully dishwasher safe. It is not suitable for microwave use.
Available in a wide range of fun, contemporary patterns and bright, vibrant colours, Ecoffee Cup packs just a little bit more style than its plastic, ceramic or stainless steel cousins.